When you’re tired of living with pain and discomfort, visit your hammer toe doctor in Midtown NYC. A highly experienced hammer toe specialist Dr. Sophia Solomon is ready and able to change your life for the better by resolving your hammertoe problems. Get the hammertoes treatment you need in the safe, reassuring hands of the best podiatrists and hammer toe surgeons in NYC. Not everyone needs hammer toe surgery, but if you do, come see the office and meet Dr. Solomon, a leading toe doctor in New York.
Hammer Toe Surgery
A hammer toes is a toe that curls or is buckled. This condition can be very painful and make fitting into shoes difficult. This deformity can cause skin lesions where infection introduction can occur mainly seen in diabetes or those with poor circulation. See a Manhattan hammer toe surgeon or foot doctor in New York sooner rather than later to treat this uncomfortable condition.
People ask NYC podiatrist every day to explain what caused their toe to become bent like this. This deformity occurs when the muscles that stabilize your toes lose the delicate balance among them and start to overpower each other. This causes your toe to bend or become stuck in a curled position. This can become painful because the contracted toes bump against the top of your shoe. The ball of the foot can also become painful since the toes are not carrying any weight as they contract off the ground. It’s possible for less invasive methods to help, but if your case is serious, your NYC podiatrist may recommend hammer toe surgery.
All symptoms, potential procedural/surgical options should always be discussed with your podiatrist or NYC hammertoe surgeon Dr. Solomon after a thorough consultation and examination for an accurate diagnosis and hammertoes treatment plan.
Diagnosis and Most Common Surgical Procedures
Your New York City hammer toe specialist or foot doctor will need X-rays as part of your exam to evaluate the deformity in your toes. We recommend you consult hammertoe doctor in NYC to get an accurate diagnosis. Your foot doctor in New York will explain your treatment options depending on your foot type.
There are several surgical techniques that your podiatrist can use after determining that hammer toe surgery is your best option:
- Arthroplasty is one of the most common podiatric surgery. In this procedure, your foot doctor NYC removes a tiny piece of the bone from your misshapen joint, making your toe straight by removing the buckling effect.
- Arthrodesis is a type of fusion used for correction of a severe hammer toe. The joint cartilage is removed and the toe is pinned in a straight position. This pin is removed after your bone has healed generally at 6 weeks.
- Tendon transfers can be performed independently or combined with other procedures. A tendon transfer is exactly what it sounds like — a tendon is harvested from under your toe and relocated to the top of your toe to help straighten it..
- Weil osteotomy is another procedure involves shortening the metatarsal bone if you are getting pain at the ball of your foot.
- After the Procedure
After Hammer Toe Surgery Procedure in New York
After hammer toe surgery, you may be given a special shoe to relieve pressure while you walk. It is recommended to keep your foot elevated to above the level of your heart especially during the first week following surgery. Stitches are typically removed two to three weeks after surgery. Driving should be avoided following your hammer toe surgery and during the recovery period.
Your podiatric doctor may recommend an exercise plan that is designed to stretch and move your toes after the surgery. This helps you recover faster and maintain flexibility in your toes. While everybody heals at different rates, following the instructions of your podiatrist guides you to the a fastest recovery time.
Recovery from hammer toe surgery begins as soon as your procedure is complete. Some swelling and pain in the area is to be expected, but the inflammation and pain diminish with time and you will be left with a painless straight toe.
Please consult your foot doctor in New York regarding specific post- operative instructions. No information on this site should be used to guide individual treatment.
Potential Risks of Hammer Toe Surgery
Possible complications following hammertoe surgery are infection, bleeding, blood clot, nerve or muscle damage, and return of deformity. All possible complications will be discussed during a consultation with Dr. Solomon, hammer toe surgeon in Midtown, New York.
Things to Remember
Hammertoe surgery is usually not going to be your NYC podiatrist’s initial treatment. A little care can go a long way. Following the advice of your top NYC hammertoe doctor may resolve your symptoms without needing hammer toe surgery:
- Better shoes are a must. This is likely your podiatrist’s first suggestion.
- Non-steroidal non-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can reduce swelling and inflammation, but it may be necessary for your Manhattan podiatrist to relieve acute pain with cortisone injections.
- A foot doctor can prescribe custom-made inserts that you can wear inside your shoes. Not only can they reduce pain, they can prevent your condition from getting worse.
- Some over-the-counter inserts can help, but they aren’t nearly as effective as ones custom fit by a foot specialist.
- Your podiatrist may also suggest exercise to help restore muscle balance.
If after your procedure, you experience burning, numbness, tingling or sensations that don’t improve with ice or elevation, contact your foot doctor in NYC immediately.
The Future Can Be Bright
When you’re tired of living with pain and discomfort, visit your podiatrist. A highly experienced podiatry doctor in New York Dr. Sophia Solomon is ready and able to change your life for the better by resolving your foot problems, including any pain you experience on a regular basis. Just take the first step.
Reducing your foot pain is a foot doctor’s first priority. Following the prescribed steps and hammertoe treatments laid out can speed up your recovery and ensure proper healing. Not everyone needs hammer toe surgery, but if you do, these procedures deliver positive improvements to your quality of life.
Important Reminder: This information is only intended to provide guidance, not a definitive medical advice. Please consult foot or toe doctor about your specific condition. Only a trained, experienced board certified podiatrist or hammertoe specialist can determine an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment for your hammer toe.
Do you have any questions about Hammer Toe Surgery or correction procedure in NYC? Would like to schedule an appointment with an internationally recognized, top NYC Podiatrist and hammertoe surgeon, Dr. Sophia Solomon of Podiatry Manhattan Center, please contact our office for consultation.
Dr. Sophia Solomon, Podiatrist (NYC Foot Doctor)
New York, NY 10010
(Between Madison Ave & Park Ave)
☎ (212) 389-9918